Two-Factor Authentication For Facebook & InstagramNov 30, 2021
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook and Instagram accounts and your password, keeping them safe. After you set up two-factor authentication, you’ll receive a notification or be asked to enter a special login code, when someone tries logging into your account from a device or browser not recognised by Facebook and Instagram.
This ensures that your accounts cannot be accessed by hackers, even if your passwords have been exposed to those with ill intent. Two-factor authentication is the key to keeping your account secure.
What happens when I set up two-factor authentication?
After you have set up two-factor authentication, if someone tries to login to your Facebook or Instagram account from an unrecognisable device or browser, you will be promoted for a code. This will be accessed by one of the following ways depending on how you set up the two-factor authentication:
- Text message (SMS) to your mobile phone
- An authentication app such as Google authenticator
- Physical security key
You'll need to have at least one of these set up in order to use two-factor authentication.
How To Set Up Two Factor Authentication On Facebook
You can only set up two-factor authentication on desktop (computer) by following the below instructions. This is not supported from the mobile app (phone).
- From your Facebook home page, click on the drop-down arrow, top right of the screen. Click on Settings & privacy.
- Click on Privacy shortcuts.
- Scroll down to Account Security and click on Use two-factor authentication.
- Choose the security method you would like to use and follow the on screen prompts.
How To Set Up Two Factor Authentication On Instagram (mobile app)
- From the home screen tab, tap on your profile icon in the bottom right
- Tap on the burger bar menu in the top right
- Tap Settings > Security > Two Factor Authentication
- Tap Get Started at the bottom of the screen
- Choose authentication method and follow the on screen prompts
Once finished you will get an on-screen prompt saying that two-factor authentication is on. You need to do two-factor authentication for each individual Instagram account you manage.
Watch my Instagram Reel on how to set up Two-Factor Authentication for Instagram ⬇️
Recovery Codes / Backup Codes
As part of the two-factor authentication process you’ll be given the option to download recovery codes. This is especially useful if you lose your phone or can’t receive a verification code via text message or an authentication app.
Take a screenshot of them and save them somewhere safe so they can be easily accessed when you need them.
3 Ways I Can Help You Right Now!
FREE Content Planner
Join my mailing list for no nonsense digital marketing tips, find out about new services and get special discounts.
Plus, as a thank you for signing up download my FREE Content Planner, complete with awareness days for the UK and Ireland.